I got some great feedback after I updated URL Fixer to be compatible with Fennec, Mozilla’s mobile browser, and I’m happy to announce that I’ve been able to add Fennec compatibility to four more add-ons:
- TwitterBar: Post to Twitter from Firefox’s address bar
- AutoAuth: Automatically submits authentication dialogs
- YouTube Comment Snob (still in the sandbox): Filter out lame comments on YouTube
- Slashdotter (still in the sandbox): Adds features to the Slashdot website
So far, I’ve found it pretty easy to port add-ons to Fennec, with the following caveats:
- You can’t install add-ons in Fennec by opening them from your computer; I wrote a script to copy the add-on directly into the Fennec profile, much like an add-on IV drip – straight into the bloodstream!
- There’s no easy access to the error console , but you can open it manually if you grab the address from Firefox.
- No DOM Inspector. For now, just browse the source.
It seems that all of these issues could be solved with a “Fennec Add-on Development” extension; maybe that will be my next project, unless easier solutions already exist.