I’ve experienced a strange iPhone 5 or iOS 6.0.2 bug three times in the last week. Here are the steps to reproduce:
- Use phone until battery level is at the most 40%.
- In in an environment with a temperature below 50º Fahrenheit, play music through the phone speakers for at least 30 minutes.
- Confirm that the battery level is above 15%.
- Open Camera app, with or without stopping the music playback.
- Phone immediately shuts off as if the battery was dead.
- Attempt to turn phone on; screen shows “no battery” symbol.
- Plug phone in to a power source. The phone will turn back on after a few seconds, showing at least 15% battery power.
These specific steps are the result of me using my phone as a stereo while I work on projects in my garage in Minnesota in the winter.
I’ve reported the problem to Apple; has anyone else experienced this? I don’t know if the temperature, music playback, or actual battery level are relevant, but it’s definitely due to opening Camera.